Thursday, April 25, 2013

2013 BFA Senior Exhibition - Un/Controlled Outcomes

In addition to being an intern, student, barista, and sane(ish) person this semester; I also am participating in the Cardinal Stritch University Bachelor of Fine Arts Senior Exhibition! (CSU BFA Senior Exhibition)



More pictures and info after the jump!


My slice in this picture is the one on the far right and because I love the readers of my blog so much; I'mma give you a little sneak peek at what I've got going on for the show. My installation is called Un/Controlled Outcomes. When I was a small child, I would look at the wood grain on my closet doors as I was falling asleep. I remember being frightened and fascinated at the same time. I thought the shapes were going to shift into monsters and come alive and GET ME. They didn't, obviously, because I'm still here to tell the tale. (What if they had gotten me though? That should be pondered for future projects...) I eventually grew out of the fear of my closet doors. I saw a few wood grain pieces here and there and I thought they were really interesting and I wanted to explore that in my own art. I began that exploration in my drawing II class (those paintings/drawings will also be on display during my senior exhibition). I also did a self-reflected, wood grain piece based on me as part of my therapy. It's nice to see it and be reminded of how far I've come. For my senior show, I knew I wanted to do something with wood grain and terrariums. I decided that although my pieces in the past had subject matter (houses and figures), I wanted these pieces to focus on the patterns of the wood grain specifically, so although I had a few ideas for how I could have included a more structured subject, I resisted. 

In addition to the wood grain, I wanted to include terrariums in my show. So I have quite a few of those that I've made that accompany the wood panel pieces. I wanted to create a more personal interaction between myself and nature. What's more personal than holding a little biodome in your hands? After working on this for a few months, I realized much of my life centers around control; both being controlled and controlling. I realize that theme is also present in my art. With the terrariums, I created a controlled environment, yet I didn't really control it after I popped the lid on the jar. As a result, some of the terrariums died, others grew mold and some did just fine. Within the wood panel pieces, there was also a factor of control: how much paint/how thick/how opaque/how blended. I also added some collage with undertone of some of the stream-of-consciousness thoughts that I have on a day-to-day basis. 

Here is a picture of one of the wood panels. In this picture it's still a work in progress. 


Here's a detail shot of a different piece:


“The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living.”
—Jules Henri Poincare, a French mathematician (1854-1912)
I'd like to take a moment to thank all of my Alterra peeps for saving a million capers jars for me and a thanks to my mom and dad for letting me take up their entire front window with my terrariums. Thanks to everyone that supported me in my show and my college career! I couldn't have done it without all of you.

There is an opening reception for the 2013 BFA Senior Exhibition on May 10 from 5-8pm. Come and see the rest of my pieces and the amazing works of art by my peers! 

1 comment: