Monday, May 6, 2013

Artist Spotlight - Clint Fulkerson

There's a lot to be said about social media. Lately I've been hearing a lot about how our constant avenues of communication are actually separating us as a culture. Rather than striking up a conversation with a stranger or observing our surroundings while waiting, we're texting people or checking our email. Although I've been trying to put my phone on probation (it hasn't been going very well) by not taking it out every second that I'm bored; I have made at least one totally amazing connection through instagram: Clint Fulkerson. 



Read more after the jump!



I'm not sure who followed who first but he's always posting awesome stuff that he's making and I thought it was about time I did some research on his work- and I was not let down by what I've discovered. 



This is what Clint Fulkerson has to say regarding his process of art making:


"My artwork features complex patterns and forms made by an accumulation of hand drawn marks. Each new mark is applied in response to the previous one and so on. For each piece I set up a starting condition and devise a set of rules, which are much like algorithms, that limit what and how forms develop. Beginning a piece is a moment of unlimited potential and the final results are often unexpected, which I find extremely exciting. I use this emergent process regardless of the media I choose, and I typically make drawings, prints, and paintings closely related to the artistic tradition of geometric abstraction."





His paintings range from the vibrant technicolored ones above to the more serious seeming black-and-white or grayscale. He has done huge, wall-size installations and even cast sculptures.



Something that Fulkerson focuses on during his art-making process is staying in the present, allowing him to focus on his various influences: math, science, and geometry are obviously present, but also the fundamentals of existence.  





Through intuition his art is made, each mark affects the next and so on. If you're interested in a closer look at his process, there is a time lapse video!





I'm really interested to see what Fulkerson comes out with next. Check out his website here. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment